Love Hurts: Woman Paralyzed by Hickey
Hickeys are definitely embarrassing, but who knew they could actually paralyze you? That's exactly what happened to one unlucky New Zealand woman, whose lover managed to give her a love bite so strong it caused a mini-stroke and paralysis. Doctors were mystified by the woman's condition until they found a blood clot hovering in an artery just below the bite. The 44-year-old Maori woman was taken to a hospital and treated for a paralyzed left arm. "Because it was a love bite, there would be a lot of suction. Because of the physical trauma, it had made a bit of bruising inside the vessel," explained Dr. Teddy Wu, who treated the woman.
This woman's stroke-causing hickey is hardly the only recent sex-related injury. In fact, a 2010 British poll found that one-third of all Brits -- that's around 18 million people -- had experienced some kind of passion-induced affliction. And Americans are no better off -- around one-third of Americans will harmed during sex in their lifetimes.
In case you're wondering, hickeys aren't the only culprits. A Chinese woman went temporarily deaf after a particularly loud kiss was blown into her ear. And U.S. hospitals report penis fractures as common sex injuries.
Tell us: Have you ever been worse off as a result of a romp?
Around the Web
- What Drives Men Away and What Attracts Them - YourTango
- Bill Clinton: It's Still the Economy, Stupid - The Daily Beast
- Do You Want to Know When Your Friends Run Into Your Ex? - The Frisky
- Would You Marry Someone Who Didn't Have a Job? - The Gloss
- And the City That Has the Most Sex Is ... - The Stir, CafeMom
- 3 Easy Ways to Keep Your Makeup Sweat-Proof This Summer - BellaSugar